Translate

Search This Blog

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
P. B. Shelley

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Honoring our veterans.

My family has had members who served in the Army and Navy, from what I know about it, it extends the last century's wars...WWI through Viet Nam. We have no one in the current conflicts. Like a lot of American families, we have divisions among us. We did during the Viet Nam war mainly due to the draft and now. I know we will overcome these divisions but they leave their scars.

Personally, I believe we have to support our troops until it is over. What matters is what decisions are made politically in Congress and by the President. All around me I hear more lack of support for the war than for. I think the war in Iraq has turned for the worse for us and isn't our fight any longer. I hope our leaders will have the wisdom to get our troops home safely as possible, as soon as possible.

I hate spending money on war. It is so negative. I pray this war will be over soon. My great uncle was in the Army in Germany after WWII helping with the reorganization of that country. I have come to respect him for what he must have encountered there. My family has several men who have served bravely in branches of military service and the women in my family have honored them, trying to instill the values by which they did their duty into the children in the family. I think it must be like most any American family that way. Like a family dividing up or unifying so does our country. The polarities are fierce on either side. There are war casualties and these are the deep tragedies that break my heart. It breaks my heart in my family and for others.

I remember this Veterans Day those who serve, those who have served and those who lost their lives in service. Especially this year I wish to remember in prayers those who have returned from service disabled. God bless you all.